Polson Iron Works Ships Built 1890

These are the ships built by Polson Iron Works in this year.
The sources of information for each ship (National Archives of Canada, N.A.C., Mills List, etc.),
are listed, along with other information, specifications, engine information and
links to a ship's 'Story,' if we have it.
If you know anything that we don't, please get in touch. We would love to hear from you.
Use the menu on the left to see what ships were built in each year.

Ship Builds


ONTARIO

Date Registered:
[ 1890/04/30 ] Official Number: [ 94885 ]
transferred.
Mills List Update #4138

First Registration
Name: [ ONTARIO ] Location: [MONTREAL, QUEBEC, CANADA ] Registriation: [ 6/1890 ] Date Registered: [ 1890/04/30 ] Official Number: [ 94885 ]

Original Building Information:
Built By: [ THE POLSON IRON WORKS COMPANY LIMITED OWEN SOUND ] Built At: [ OWEN SOUND, ONTARIO, CANADA ] Date Built: [ 1890 ] Length: [ 297.00 ] Beam: [ 41.30 ] Depth: [ 14.90 ] Gross: [ 1615.40 ] Net: [ 1017.76 ]

Vessel Description:
Deck: [ ONE ] Type: [ CLINKER ] Stern: [ROUND ] Gallery: [NONE ] Figure: [ NO ] Frame: [ STEEL ] Propulsion: [ STEAM PADDLES ] Number of Masts: [ NONE ] Type of Rig: [ NOT ]. 297 x 41 x 15. Train ferry. Retired 1916 when Windsor-Detroit rail tunnel opened.

First Engine:
Type of Engine: [ HIGH PRESSURE CONDENSING ] Number of Engines: [TWO ] Date Built: [ 1890 ] Built by: [THE POLSON IRON WORKS COMPANY, LIMITED, TORONTO ] Horsepower: [ 3000.00 ] Unit Horsepower: [COMBINED ]. 50 x 114

Owned by
H. Beatty;
Canadian Pacific Railway 1899.
Rebuilt as a barge 1924

Closing Information
Date of Reason Closed: [1925/06/04 ] Reason Closed: [TRANSFERRED ] Place Closed: [ PORT ARTHUR, ONTARIO, CANADA ]. Sank October 13, 1927, Outer Island, Lake Superior.

Source of Data
N.A.C., RG-42, C-2470, VOL. 411, Mills List #4138.

NAIAD

Commissioned by Senator William E. Sanford.

Building Information:
Built by: THE POLSON IRON WORKS, Yacht, Length, 68 feet, steel frame, Beam 10 feet, Depth of hold, 3 feet, Draft 5 feet.

First Engine:
Fore and aft compound condensing type steam engine built by Polson Iron Works. Propeller driven.

Closing Information
Sold as scrap and burned in 1967

Source of Data
"Senator W.E. Sanford and his yacht NAIAD" by Bruce Rudolph, Freshwater, Volume 12, Number 1, 1997
Article

SEGUIN    Seguin's Story

Official Number 64763, Mills List #5098.

Seguin (5098)
Owned by Parry Sound Navigation Co. 1890;
J. B. Miller, 1895, 1906;
Parry Sound Transportation Co. 1907, 1913;
A. B. Mackay, Hamilton 1916;
Canada Steamship Lines 1917.

Built by
Polson Iron Works, Owen Sound and launched July 16, 1890.

Engine 17 - 28 - 46 x 30 by builder.

Vessel Description
207 x 34 x 13. 818 gross tons. Freighter. Renamed MAPLEBORO (1920), CITY OF MONTREAL (1923), ARVIDA (1926).

Closing Information:
Cut up for scrap in 1944.

Source of Data
Mills List Update Sept 2004, The Scanner article 25 Toronto Marine Historical Society, Canadian Heritage Reference Library online.